Workshop: Mindfulness through animation

Workshop: Mindfulness through animation

This exploratory workshop took place at Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design on February 4th, 2015. Through a three hour session, its intention was to approach the process of animating and of drawing through mindful animation techniques, to develop a sense of well-being and sense of focus.

A blank studio. We started out with a 15 minute ‘body scan’, where a professional practitioner within mindfulness and meditation guided us through our sense of selves, in a sense. The intention was to reach a deep awareness of the different parts of our bodies, and scan ourselves for tension. The practitioner guided us through how to release these tension knots, to achieve optimum mindfulness. 

All relaxed and mindful, we moved into the MA Animation studio. My mindfulness was gone. Not because the workshop was bad, -it was actually quite efficient-, but because I had never been so close to old-fashioned animation equipment. It was very, very exciting. Apparently, the tutors expected this, as they had another meditation session planned.

After the last meditation session, we were told to draw one drawing based on our experience with deep breathing and mindfulness through the past sessions. At this point, I was being a very bad participant. My eyes were floating around from poster to poster of student work, and my mind already planning what animation to draw. So I started drawing an animation. Which I was not supposed to… Apparently we were supposed to do one drawing. It didn’t actually affect the remainder of the session, so it was fine. In a way it helped with the concept of meditation, as the techniques we learned were supposed to help us zoom back into focus.

After producing our first drawings, we traced these and handed a copy to the person next to us. The tudors then told us to treat these two as the first and last key frame of an animation, and to create ‘in-between’ drawings between the two. Here’s mine:

Benita Kvinlaug