Identifying an identity

Identifying an identity

While in Venice, I made some quick notes on what elements formed my impression of the city’s identity. I figured this could help me establish what main elements I want to identify my studio project’s design through.

Dogs everywhere. No leash. This alone would be enough to want to live there. I think letting dogs walk around freely is a strong symbol of the peaceful vibe the locals seem to have, and that reflects in the city. Owned dogs appear to be very nicely groomed, as if this is a stamp to separate them from the strays.

For animation, where each natural occurrence must be planned, even the little things could identify a location. Since Venice has canals throughout the entire city and a transport system on water,¬†waves from the boats constantly slam into the peers and walls, resulting in little splashes of water. Each boat is followed by a set of waves which make the rows of parked boats dance along with them. The tiny splashes caused by the waves are some of my strongest memories of Venice’s ‘little things’.