Christian Schellewald has worked as an Art Director, Production Designer and in the Animation Department for several animated productions. In 2000, he was nominated for the Annie award, ‘Outstanding Individual Achievement for Production Design in an Animated Feature Production’ (Imdb.com).
Schellewald has previously worked for Amblimation and Universal, and stayed on with DreamWorks Animation for sixteen years as an Art Director, from 1997 to 2013. He is currently working as a Visual Development Artist at Reel FX. What I found interesting about his work, is how his digital paintings carry a hand-crafted appeal to them. Also, his shapes and lines go very lucid, which seems to make his concepts light-hearted and highly pleasurable (check image no. 3 , The Road to El Dorado). This is a skill I would really like to learn more of. I think the psychological impression of a concept is really important: not just how the design looks, but the feeling it conveys.
- Layout Artist: Balto (1995, dir. Simon Wells, Universal)
- Visual Development Artist: The Prince of Egypt (1998, dir. Brenda Chapman, Steve Hickner & Simon Wells, DreamWorks Animation)
- Production Designer: The Road to El Dorado (2000, dir. Bibo Bergeron et al., DreamWorks Animation)
- Production Illustrator: Shrek 2 (2004, DreamWorks Animation)
- Visual Development Artist: Kung Fu Panda (2008, dir. Mark Osborne & John Stevenson, DreamWorks Animation)
- Art Director: Puss in Boots (2011, dir. Chris Miller, DreamWorks Animation)
- Visual Development Artist: Rise of the Guardians (2012, dir. Peter Ramsey, DreamWorks Animation)